Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 4/5: A la soirée et Versailles

Didn't somebody once say that Sunday was the day of rest? Apparently us and the thousands of other tourists who came to see Versailles today didnt get that memo; but before we get to that, let me back it up a day to yesterday, Samedi. Yesterday turned out to be a lovely day with the attending of one of the Ségla family friend's Anniversary party, where I learned that the tradition of greeting someone with a kiss on both cheaks is not only seen as polite, but almost mandatory! So as we entered we went through a line of atleast 10 people, I gave and recieved 20 kisses or more before anyone even knew who I was! But it was a lovely dinner party overall; we had hors d'oeuvres and Champagne out of teensie-weensie fluted cups, then for dinner: rabbit with corrots in a meatloaf sort of form, ratatouille and rice.. it all was amazing! So incredibly delicious! The kids played french word games at our table, which I finally got after atleast 40 minutes.. so simple! Ces touches and C'as ces touches pas ( atleast I think that is how its spelled) very simple game, a word is said, something like "dentifrice" (toothpaste) and because ones lips dont touch when its said someone else would say "ces thouches pas" or rather, " they dont touch," they meaning lips. So of course words with Bs and Ms in them would be Ces touches. Anyway, not very compelling stuff but this did take up a good portion of the night, or atleast maybe I only though it did because I just could not get it! Haha Moving right along, after the festivities were over at about 2am, we get some much needed rest; but not for too long because today is the day for Versailles! Louis XIV, Marie Antoinette, and Louis XVI have all walked on the cobblestone, marble and gravel of this beautiful, delicate and MASSIVE historic building .. and now so have I! Versailles is truely a sight to see just for its size alone, not to mention the detail work that went and goes into its building and upkeep. Its nearly impossible to put into words what a spectacle it is, we walked for hours through the garden, or should I say forrest, and every corner turned bore a new spectacular treasure made of marble or bronze and somesort of fountain come out or over it. I truly loved it and I can say it is ( atleast for now) my fondest memory of France. After parting with Versailles, which was hard but the acheing in my feet deffinetly helped, Marie-Line took the long way home especially for me through the streets of Paris. I saw the Eiffel Tower for the first time and was almost hysterical! Then came the Arc de Triomph then Champs des Lysées and finally the Louvre. Such an amazing city and I cant wait to experience it all outside of a car window! And not oo long until I do! July 14 is Bastille day and Independance day for France and there is a huge celebration which we are likely to attend! Untill then, à bientot! Kisses!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Baby...your descriptions take my breath away...amazing...savor and enjoy my dear..smootches momma

    ReplyDelete