Tuesday, November 11, 2014

I Wish My Super-Power was to Stop Time

My time in Buenos Aires has gone by way too fast! Yes, I still have 4 weeks left but each day seems to be passing by faster than the last. I can't believe I have already been here for 2 and a half months. I have seen and done enough amazing things to last me a life time.. and yet I'm so greedy I still want more! There is so much to see and do here that everyday is an adventure. Just walking through the streets each day leaves me in awe; the trees and the building are so beautiful it brings me joy just to stare at them, and they provide just enough shade on a hot and humid day to drop the temperature a few degrees, the perfect temperature to stroll around mindlessly and just soak it all in (which I have become quite an expert in). I have also mastered the art of tomando un cafe: portenos definitly love their empanadas and mate but they also love coffee. Rather, they love the act of drinking coffee. Whether in groups or alone, portenos can make an afternoon sit down with 3 oz cups (shots) of coffee last 3 hours, or more! I have come to really enjoy this part of Argentine culture, knowing that I can take my sweet time and relax with my tiny cup of coffee for hours on end and no one will bother me. Even now, I have been sitting in El Ateneo (the theatre turned book store) for over 2 hours reading and writing and I have no plans to move any time soon. I have been enjoying many other parts of the city also. Every weekend there are many fairs sprawled throughout the city selling hand made goods and antiques. The most famous feria is San Telmo, the mile long market in the barrio of the same name, every Sunday.  There is also a much smaller feria not far from my house on Saturdays and Sundays which I visit often because it has a very communal feel. While it is difficult to feel fully integrated into the city when I still barely speak any castallano, I feel like I am finally getting into the groove of things here. Not only am I finally able to understand what people are asking me on the bus (most of the time) but I can actually answer them because I know where things are! I don't know why but it is such a great feeling knowing the layout of the city  like where and how far places and streets are. Flowing smoothly along with the hustle and bustle feels like I actually belong here. And at the same time the city can feel pretty hectic and you just need to get out! The other weekend I went to an Ashram/ self-sustainable farm 2 hours outside the city and just spent the day doing yoga and meditating. I enjoyed it so much I think I am going to go back this weekend to stay and volunteer. I know the next couple weeks are going to fly by and it is going to be very bitter-sweet to leave here. I have been incredibly blessed with this opportunity and I cannot wait to see where life takes me next. And as always, thanks so much to you guys for all the love and support! Nos vemos!

No comments:

Post a Comment