Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Che Boludo

Hola familia!
It's hard to believe I am already done with three weeks of class! I had my first parcial (midterm) yesterday and I think it went well but it was a lot of information to cover for just 2.5 weeks. I have learned a great deal in that time, both in my class and out in the city. I'm not quite at the conversational level yet (or at all really, at this point I can ask choppy questions and recognize a few key words..) but I'm getting there! Argentine spanish is incredibly different than any other spanish in the world. And the spanish spoken in Buenos Aires specifically is a whole nother story. It is a form of spanish called Castellano and you will know they are from BA just from the way they pronounce the word. Here, the y and ll (which normally make a "yuh" sound) make a "sh" sound. Therefore calle (street) is "cashe," caballo (horse) is "cabasho," aya (there) is "asha," and so on. I remember hearing this idiosyncrasy the last time I was in the city but since my spanish was limited it was not as apparent. Now I recognize it in everything. To make things more confusing, they have entirely different names and words for things. For instance, the word here (normally aqui) is aka, and the word for you (tu) is vos and it has a its own conjugation for each verb. It was a bit confusing at first to learn this way of speech but I am beginning to get used to it... even like it! It sounds so effortless. However, I know I will run into a little bit of confusion when I travel elsewhere, but if I learn to understand the porteƱos of BA.. I will be able to understand anyone!
I have already done so much in this beautiful city and there is still so much left to see. I revisted a few of the places I saw last time and they were just as amazing to see a second time. I revisted the Recolleta cemetery which is where the late Evita Peron is buried and it has the most ornate tombs I have ever seen. Like houses for the dead, these marble buildings can reach up to two stories high on just a couple square meter plot. Next to the cemetery is a cultural center where we saw a show called Fuerza Bruta. The show, which was a kind of cirque de sole performance art..thing, was quite possibly the coolest show I have ever seen. I wish you all could come visit me just to see it. Earlier this week I went to study in El Ateneo, an old theatre turned into a bookstore. Ranked one of the world's most beautiful bookstores, you can sit for hours in the cafe located on the old stage drinking a coffee and marveling at the view. I feel as though I am really becoming a part of the city. We also visited El Tigre, a river town in the northernmost part of the city, this past weekend with our program and just sat in a park on one of the islands and had food and drank wine. I am having a lovely time so far! Unfortunately, it's raining today so I am just going to stay in and catch up on some work. But Sunday was the first day of Spring so we have warmer weather to look forward to! I love you guys! Chaou!

No comments:

Post a Comment